Anacapa Island Field Trip
March 21 via Island Packers
Boat Departs at 9:30 AM (be there at least 45 minutes early)
Once again the TOPG will try to go to Anacapa Island to photograph the birds, flowers and amazing seascapes. We have tried this the past two years and have been thwarted by bad weather. Hopefully, our third time out will work just fine! Our trip leader, Pete Scifres, has put together a very detailed description about the trip including cost and departure information. Rather that repeat all that information here, please refer to Pete's Anacapa Field Trip Description.
Island Packers has put together some points which you should also think about when planning your expedition. They are included below:
To prepare for the best day possible you will need to:
- Pack food and water for your time on the island. A small cooler with a single handle or a back pack will help to protect your food from the birds that populate the island year round. There are no shops or restaurants on the island. Be prepared to hike out all your trash.
- Anacapa Island has little shade, so sun screen and a hat will help to protect you from UV that is present even on overcast days.
- Weather conditions can change rapidly in the Santa Barbara Channel and it is always best to dress in layers and bring a jacket along (even in the summer months).
- Flat shoes with rubber soles are best for both the boat and the island. We recommend hiking sandals or sneakers. We suggest that you do not wear loose or leather soles sandals or flip flops on your island adventure.
- Camera and binoculars will add to your trip and this island offers some spectacular photo opportunities.
- Please arrive at your harbor of departure 45 minutes before your schedule mainland departure.